|From Summer Exploits 2010|
Crappy cellphone picture — I forgot my camera!
I was able to get her lower leg swelling down by about one half with a very tight standing wrap last night. This is good news — if she stays too swollen it will impede her ever being a riding horse again. Hopefully we can reduce it more over the next couple days.
So the fluid moved to her belly and now she has a nice jiggy edema. This is okay too — better her belly than her leg! She kind of looks like she has a sheath and balls now the way the udder-swelling and edema look to casual inspection.
So this morning I got out my clay poultice and did a tight poultice wrap with that to see what kind of affect that would have on the swelling (as you can see, the clay was rather fun to play with). It's difficult to wrap the stifle area, but I'm getting better at it!
When I was leaving two red tails who were just getting their mature plumage (probably siblings) swooped in to greet me. They were literally five feet away from me in the grass and gave me a very sharp intelligent regard. That filled me with hope and awe. The red tail has appeared in the past, strongly associated with Deli, when she began the road to recovery after injuries. I have a feeling the red tail is HER spirit animal considering the first time one landed right next to her on a fence she nickered at it (this was during a serious illness at the EQC), which is odd behavior for a horse greeting a bird of prey.
I'm feeling truly hopeful for the first time in days that Deli will make a full recovery.
And I tried reducing the grain I mixed the antibiotics in and putting molasses in instead, and she ate it right up! Thanks for reminding dumbass-me that that works...